понедельник, 25 января 2010 г.

Phrases for Conversation (part 2)

Conversation Starters
General greetings and inquiries

How's it going?
How's everything?
How's life?
(This means "How are you?" not "Where are you going?")

Asking about present activities
What's up?
What's happening?
(What are you doing now?)

Asking and telling about recent events

What's new?
Guess what?
(What interesting has happened since I last saw you?)
(I want to tell you something. Ask me about it.)
(The appropriate response to this is "What?")
A: Guess what?
A: I just got a new job.
B: What?
B: Congratulations!

Bringing up a serious topic
Can I talk to you for a minute?
Do you have a minute?
Got a minute?

Agreeing and Disagreeing
Here are some phrases for agreeing and disagreeing in English.

Agreeing


I agree.
So do I.
Me too.
Me neither.
I don't either.
(Agreeing about a negative idea.)
(Agreeing about a negative idea.)
You're right.
That's right.
Good idea.
I think that's a good idea.

Disagreeing

I disagree.
I don't think so.
(No.) That's not right.
Yes, but...
(I'm sorry, but) I don't agree.

Asking Permission


Modals are commonly used for asking permission

Can I ask you a question?
May I have a piece of cake?
Could I get you to turn off the lights

Some other common phrases are
Do you mind if I smoke?
Would you mind if I asked you something?
Is it okay if I sit here?
Would it be all right if I borrowed your lawn mower?

Giving Permission

Sure.
Go ahead.
No problem.

Asking for and Giving Advice
Asking for Advice

What do you think I should do?
What do you suggest?
What would you do (in this situation)?

Giving Advice
I think you should get a lawyer.
Maybe you should try someplace else.
Why don't you call the company?
If I were you, I would tell her.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий